Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Email from BYU IT services

Email to [Editor]
Sent: Wednesday April 14, 2010 11:50pm

[Editor],
Can you please explain to me what is going on? We are curious who hacked into BYU’s website, and secured the BYU hosted website name of “borg.byu.edu."

And we would ALSO like to know why on earth this name is now connected the 100 Hour Board! I have been a fan of the Board for years, [Editor], but this is serious. If we find out that it was you or one of your writers, you could be in a lot of trouble. It takes a lot to get the director of IT Services out of bed and this angry at 11:30 at night. I hope you have a good explanation.

Brent Spinner
Data
IT Services
Brigham Young University
(801) 422-3333

---------
FWD:
Sent: Wednesday April 14, 2010 11:35pm

Brent,

I just got what I would consider a very strange and threatening e-mail. Actually I got about three dozen of them. They all say, “Your writers are now nearly all assimilated. The final assimilation of the Board is nearly complete. Resistance is futile.” And they all have this website, borg.byu.edu attached to them. I don’t know what a borg is, but the website seems to be a NewNet website, the 100 hours board or something.

I don’t know where this joker came from, or if this is some kids idea of a joke. But find whoever did this, and find them NOW!

- john

John Frakes
Director IT Services
Brigham Young University
(801)422-1122

No comments:

Post a Comment