Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gmail Chat - "The Plot Thickens"

G-Chat
Tuesday April 13, 2010
8:36 pm
Between [Editor #1] and [Editor #2]
--

[Editor #1]: [Editor #2]? It’s me [Editor #1]. We need to talk.

[Editor #2]: Just a second
Finishing another conversation
Ok, done
First off, why are you contacting me here?

[Editor #1]: The security system on the internal messaging server is acting strangely. Everything is acting strangely.

[Editor #2]: Strangely? How so?

[Editor #1]: Are you serious?! Have you even been paying attention to what’s going on?!!

[Editor #2]: I actually don’t think we need to panic just yet

[Editor #1]: WHAT?!!
When WOULD be a good time to panic?!
When we have no writers left at all?
When they get one of US and they have access to EVERYTHING?
Have you even tried getting into the office? Or any of the tunnels?
I haven’t heard from at least five, maybe six of the writers and the protocol in emergencies is to check in every 10 hours.

[Editor #2]: I wouldn’t be too worried.

[Editor #1]: What is WRONG with you?!
Ok, that’s it
I wasn’t going to say anything
But you need to tell me what you know

[Editor #2]: I don’t follow

[Editor #1]: [Editor #2]. Tell me. What.
Do.
You.
Know about all this.

[Editor #2]: First, I know that you need to calm down.
Second, I know you’re not going to understand this, but when you’ve been around as long as I have, you see . . . phases in the writers
Sometimes we get a crop of writers that just can’t hack it
And something always just . . . happens and it’s messy and weird for a little while
But things work out. The Board will go on.
More unified than ever.

[Editor #1]: . . . .
Wait
Are YOU responsible for this?
Did you do this?

[Editor #2]: Why would you even think that, [Editor #1]?
I’m just saying that things like this happen and sometimes it’s best to let them take their course. Of course we’ll do everything we can to help.
It’s just good to keep things in perspective.

[Editor #1]: Ok, I’m sorry, maybe I overreacted
This is all a bit much for me right now.

[Editor #2]: You’re doing great. A good Editor needs to know how to react in a crisis and you’re doing a pretty great.
I think the next thing we need to do is to get everyone together

[Editor #1]: Everyone? But the protocol says to go to one of five different safe houses.

[Editor #2]: Believe me, I know what the protocol says. I WROTE the protocol
But you already said the security was being weird.
I think there’s safety in numbers
Who have you heard from lately?

[Editor #1]: I just heard from [Pseudoname], and [Queen Alice]
I got an email from [Rating Pending], but it didn’t exactly sound like him.
I haven’t heard from [Gimgimno] or [The Detective] since that horrible phone call.
The ones I’m worried about checking in tonight are the brothers.

[Editor #2]: Do you think HFAC got attaCKed?

[Editor #1]: Are you SERIOUSLY making jokes about this?
I know that [Mico] and [Hermia] have moved over to [Laser Jock]’s lab. I think we should gather there. It seems the safest.

[Editor #2]: Why?

[Editor #1]: Because it has lasers.

[Editor #2]: Oh. Right.

[Editor #1]: I’ll send messages to [Curious Physics Minor], [The Black Sheep] and then wait to see if the brothers respond. Can you take care of the rest?

[Editor #2]: Oh, don’t worry. I’ll take care of everyone.

[Editor #1]: Alright, see you at 22:00 hours tonight

[Editor #2]: See you then
-[Editor #1] has logged off of G-mail-

--------
G-Chat
Tuesday April 13, 2010
9:21 pm
Between [Editor #1] and [Board Writer]

[Editor #1]: I just got offline with [Editor #2]. I’m sending you a copy of our conversation, [Board Writer].
Did you get it?

[Board Writer]: Ok, I just got it
. . .
Wow. The plot thickens
Are you SURE we should be doing this?
I mean, if you can’t trust [Editor #2], then who can you trust?

[Editor #1]: It’s not that I don’t trust him. I’m just covering my bases.
I don’t know what’s going to go down at that lab tonight and if something happens to me I want the information to get out

[Board Writer]: Did you look at the data logs for the security codes?
Were they tampered?

[Editor #1]: Yes I did. Someone, just last week, went through the entire system.
But I can’t tell if they were tampered or not because I’m not sure if anything’s been changed. If it has been, it’s at a level deeper than even I have access to.
All I can say for sure is that whoever did it was using a really old Board ID Code, one that hasn’t been used in years.
There are only a few people that have been around as long as [Editor #2], and none of them had the amount of access that HE had.

[Board Writer]: Could it be a former Board writer? A disgruntled former writer who is upset that the Board isn’t as perfect as it used to be in their time?

[Editor #1]: I really hope so [Board Writer]. Because if all of this is [Editor #2], then honestly, I don’t know how many of us are even going to last through the night.
I’ll send you everything else I’ve gathered.
Try to put the pieces together.
Hopefully someone will be able to understand what’s really going on.

[Board Writer]: How much longer do you think we can hold out?

[Editor #1]: At the rate things are going? No more than 100 hours.
--[Editor #1] has logged out of G-mail--

No comments:

Post a Comment